Afghanistan ‘anxiously waits’ to play first international game against Oz
Melbourne:Afghanistan’s cricket chief, Hamid Shinwari, has said the team is “anxiously waiting” for the first international game against Australia in the Middle East next month.
The emerging cricketing nation will play Australia in a one-day match in the desert venue of Sharjah on August 25, their second contest against a major cricketing country after playing Pakistan at the same venue in February.
“The value of the match in terms of increased experience as well as confidence and skill building will be immeasurable,” Shinwari said.
“Our players and supporters greatly admire and love cricketers from Australia and the opportunity to play them has created widespread interest and excitement and they are anxiously waiting for the day to come,” he added.
Waleed Bukhatir, vice chairman of Sharjah Cricket Club, said it would be great to watch the fledgling Afghan team play Australia, News.com.au reports.
Afghanistan became an ICC affiliate member in 2001 and a national team was formed in the same year.
Afghanistan failed to qualify for the 2011 World Cup, but have ODI status until 2013, and have also qualified for this year``s World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks