Afridi, Ajmal new additions to Sachin-led MCC side
Karachi: Veteran Pakistani cricketers Shahid Afridi and Saeed Ajmal have reportedly been included among the list of players being confirmed for this year`s Lord`s bicentenary match.
The match will take place between Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), which owns Lord`s and is captained by Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar, and a Rest of the World XI, which will be led by Australia great Shane Warne.
According to The Nation, Bangladesh batsman Tamim Iqbal will also take part in the July 5 fixture, which celebrates the 200th anniversary of the current Lord`s ground in north-west London and all the three Asian stars confirmed Monday for the fixture have enjoyed previous success at Lord`s.
Afridi said that he is looking forward to playing at Lord`s and thanked the MCC for inviting him to take part in the game, adding that he cannot wait to share a pitch with the other great players especially in such an amazing setting.
Afridi produced a match-winning performance when he made 54 not out in Pakistan`s 2009 ICC World Twenty20 final victory over Sri Lanka at Lord`s and also played his last Test at the `home of cricket` a year later, while off-spinner Ajmal also played in the 2009 World Twenty20 final.
Meanwhile Iqbal has a coveted place on the Lord`s honours board having, as a 21-year-old, made 103 in the second innings of the first Test against England in 2010 - the first century at the ground by a Bangladeshi batsman, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists