Afridi, Ajmal new additions to Sachin-led MCC side
Karachi: Veteran Pakistani cricketers Shahid Afridi and Saeed Ajmal have reportedly been included among the list of players being confirmed for this year`s Lord`s bicentenary match.
The match will take place between Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), which owns Lord`s and is captained by Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar, and a Rest of the World XI, which will be led by Australia great Shane Warne.
According to The Nation, Bangladesh batsman Tamim Iqbal will also take part in the July 5 fixture, which celebrates the 200th anniversary of the current Lord`s ground in north-west London and all the three Asian stars confirmed Monday for the fixture have enjoyed previous success at Lord`s.
Afridi said that he is looking forward to playing at Lord`s and thanked the MCC for inviting him to take part in the game, adding that he cannot wait to share a pitch with the other great players especially in such an amazing setting.
Afridi produced a match-winning performance when he made 54 not out in Pakistan`s 2009 ICC World Twenty20 final victory over Sri Lanka at Lord`s and also played his last Test at the `home of cricket` a year later, while off-spinner Ajmal also played in the 2009 World Twenty20 final.
Meanwhile Iqbal has a coveted place on the Lord`s honours board having, as a 21-year-old, made 103 in the second innings of the first Test against England in 2010 - the first century at the ground by a Bangladeshi batsman, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users