Afridi dismisses rumours of joining politics
Karachi: Making it clear that he has not joined any political party, as reported by media, Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi said on Sunday that his focus remains doing well for the national side.
The rumours began to spread about Afridi joining politics when he went to offer condolences to the former Prime Minister, Nawaz Sharif on the death of his brother in Lahore.
As soon as Afridi met with Sharif who heads the main opposition party PML N, television channels ran alerts that Afridi had joined the PML N party.
But Afridi immediately issued a denial insisting he had no plans to join politics.
"I have not joined any party nor am I contesting the elections. Right now my focus is on playing for Pakistan and regaining my best form and fitness," Afridi told reporters.
He said that for him cricket remained his foremost passion and he still had some years of cricket left in him.
"I have no political ambitions at this stage I had gone to meet with Mian sahib to offer my condolences on the death of his brother," he added.
Pakistan former Test captain Aamir Sohail had become the first cricketer to join the PML N two years back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble