Afridi not joining English county side Hampshire following visa problems
Islamabad: Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi will not join English county side Hampshire for the Friend Life T20 due to problems in obtaining visa.
Afridi had intended to fly direct from Pakistan’s one-day tour of Sri Lanka to England, but problems in completing his visa application while on tour, meant he was forced to fly back to his country.
Further hitches in his visa application have ended his chance of rejoining Hampshire after a successful season with them last year.
Hampshire manager Giles White confirmed the news, but added that they are keen to keep their alliance with Afridi intact in the coming years.
“Although Shahid will not be returning this time around, the door is still open for him to return to Hampshire in future years should circumstances suit both parties,” a newspaper quoted White, as saying.
“He obviously had a huge impact for us last year and has been missed. However, we are now deep into the 2012 competition and the side is settled so we don’t feel it is right to change that now,” he added.
Afridi enjoyed a highly thriving stay with Hampshire in 2011, taking 17 wickets in 10 matches at an average of 11.17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Iulia Vantur celebrated her birthday with this Bollywood celebrity – Pics inside
- Tour de France 2016: After third title, Chris Froome focuses on Rio Olympics 2016
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned today
- Journalists visa row: There'll be 'serious consequences', China warns India
- Protests over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew in south Kashmir to prevent separatist called march