Afridi, Razzaq not in ODI squad for India tour
Karachi: Pakistan`s experienced allrounders, Shahid Afridi and Abdul Razzaq, have been omitted for the forthcoming One-day series against India although the former has been retained for the two T20 matches.
The Pakistani selectors had a number of surprises in store for the cricket community on Monday when they announced the squads for the series in India.
Pakistan tours India from December 22 to play five matches to mark the first bilateral series between the two countries since 2007.
"We have our eyes on the 2015 World Cup and other ICC events and we have to start building for the future that is why we have recalled younger players," chief selector, Iqbal Qasim said.
He made it clear that the selection was done on merit keeping in mind recent performances and fitness of players.
He said young left-arm spinner, Reza Hasan was not considered for the tour since he has a back injury.
The injury to Hasan has opened the doors for rookie spinner, Zulfiqar Baber who has been impressive in the recent first-class Presidents Trophy and national T20 championship and has been picked in both squads.
The selectors have also included another rookie pacer, Asad Ali for the T20 matches while recalling pacers Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Irfan and Anwar Ali and batsmen, Ahmed Shahzad and Umar Amin for the two series.
Pakistan T20 squad: Mohammad Hafeez (Capt), Nasir Jamshed, Kamran Akmal, Umar Akmal, Umar Amin, Shoaib Malik, Shahid Afridi, Saeed Ajmal, Mohammad Irfan, Junaid Khan, Sohail Tanvir, Umar Gul, Asad Ali, Zulfiqar Babar, Ahmad Shahzad.
ODI squad: Nasir Jamshed, Mohammad Hafeez, Azhar Ali, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq (Capt), Harris Sohail, Kamran Akmal, Saeed Ajmal, Wahab Riaz, Junaid Khan, Umar Gul, Zulfiqar Babar, Imran Farhat, Umar Akmal, Anwar Ali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok