Afridi`s ODI retirement talk surprises Pak cricket circles
Karachi: Shahid Afridi`s sudden announcement that he is contemplating one-day retirement to focus on Twenty20s has caught Pakistan`s cricket fraternity by surprise and raised questions about what is happening behind the scenes in the national camp.
Afridi took everyone by surprise when, on returning home from Sri Lanka after playing in the one-day series, he said he was thinking about retiring from ODIs and just playing T20 matches.
"I will be consulting my elders and seniors and will take a decision in next few days. But definitely If I feel I am not contributing to the team in ODIs I don`t want to carry on doing nothing," Afridi told reporters at the airport.
"I also personally feel it is time for the selectors to try out more youngsters to prepare for the World Cup," Afridi said.
The flamboyant all-rounder, who has already quit Test cricket, said he was disappointed with his performance in the in Sri Lanka.
"I thought that Sri Lanka played much better than us and we were not good enough. It is time for us to take more responsibility," he said.
Afridi, however, declined to comment when asked about how Misbah-ul-Haq had led the side.
"This is not my domain, it is job of board and team management as far as captaincy is concerned so I don`t want to comment on it," he said.
Cricket experts are viewing Afridi`s remarks in different ways with the general feeling being that the 31-year-old who was removed as captain of the one-day side last year after a dispute with the board is not comfortable and happy in the present team set-up.
"There is also a chance that Afridi might have sensed that the new coach Dav Whatmore is laying more stress on young players and wants to ease out the seniors slowly," one analyst said.
But he pointed out that it is no secret that Afridi was disappointed when removed as captain after leading the side well.
"He was disappointed that he was not considered for the Twenty20 captaincy before the Sri Lanka and instead Mohammad Hafeez got appointed."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?