Afridi`s return `uncomfortable` for `insecure` senior players
Karachi: The return of Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi has created an uncomfortable and controversial atmosphere for some of the senior, decision-making players, according to a team member.
According to the Express Tribune, Afridi`s comeback has made the headlines and the all-rounder marked it with a grand performance in the opening one-day international (ODI) against West Indies in the ongoing tour.
However, according to a player, many other cricketers, especially the veteran and the decision-making members of the squad feel uncomfortable in Afridi`s presence as they suffer from a sense of insecurity, rising from a fear of losing power, due to Afridi`s stature in the team and his presence.
According to the cricketer, those particular players claim that the Afridi is difficult to handle and brings a negative effect on the team, although they reverse their opinion and rejoice in Afridi`s celebrity status because of his media contacts.
However, the player said that the feeling is not shared in the entire dressing room, adding that according to another teammate, Afridi brings in a lot of energy to the team and increases the motivation level of the team, adding that he has fighting qualities, which is a trait that helps the younger players.
According to the player, Afridi is an inspiration to junior players as he gives them confidence and teaches a never-say-die approach, adding that a lot of hope rests on Afridi despite his inconsistent performance.
However, Afridi has insisted that he has no attitude problems and enjoys the dressing room atmosphere more than any other player, adding that he had improved the atmosphere while he was captain and had always tried to keep it vibrant to distract players in a pressure situation.
Afridi further said that he does not have any ego problems, adding that he is always ready to play under any captain and give his best to satisfy him with his performance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Focus on defence, security as PM Modi meets Uzbek President
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great
- Accident blocks Delhi-Howrah rail route, two dozen trains diverted
- Israel says Abbas reviving old `blood libel` against Jews
- Colombia government, FARC rebels sign ceasefire