Afridi, Umar make comeback for West Indies tour
Karachi: Flamboyant Pakistani allrounder Shahid Afridi and Umar Akmal today made a comeback to the national team for the ODI and T20 series against the West Indies while senior players Shoaib Malik and Kamran Akmal were shown the door for the Caribbean tour starting July 14.
Pakistan will play five one-dayers and two T20 internationals.
After a dismal performance at the Champions Trophy last month, Malik and Kamran had to face the brunt along with opener Imran Farhat, who fared badly in the three group matches.
While opener Ahmed Shahzad, allrounders Sohail Tanvir and Hammad Azam have been recalled by the selectors, uncapped players Haris Sohail, Zulfiqar Babar and wicketkeeper Rizwan Ahmed are also part of the squads.
"We have started our rebuilding process keeping the 2015 World Cup in mind. We have tried to pick the best blend of players for the tour as we need to rebuild again after the Champions Trophy," chief selector Iqbal Qasim told reporters in Lahore.
Qasim said the trio was dropped because of poor form but could make comebacks with strong performances in domestic cricket.
"It is not the end of the road for them they have served us well in the past and they can always come back," he said.
On Afridi`s recall, the chief selector said: "We can`t just drop all seniors and put pressure on the new players or youngsters. We also feel that wickets in the West Indies are doubled paced and there is low bounce and Afridi can not only shore up the lower order but also be effective as a bowler on such pitches.
Misbah said that the selectors and management had tried to pick the best available resources and the target was to build a side for the next World Cup.
"We have tried to have a blend of players required for the ODI and T20 formats and I am sure we can do well in the West Indies because the pitches there suit us," he said.
One-Day Internationals: Nasir Jamshed, Ahmed Shahzad, Mohammad Hafeez, Misbah-ul-Haq (Capt), Asad Shafiq, Umar Akmal, Shahid Afridi, Saeed Ajmal, Wahab Riaz, Junaid Khan, Mohammad Irfan, Asad Ali, Umar Amin, Mohammad Rizwan, Abdul Rehman and Haris Sohail.
T20: Nasir Jamshed, Ahmed Shahzad, Mohammad Hafeez (Capt), Umar Akmal, Shahid Afridi, Hammad Azam, Saeed Ajmal, Wahab Riaz, Junaid Khan, Mohammad Irfan, Asad Ali, Umar Amin, Sohail Tanvir, Babar Zulfiqar and Haris Sohail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'