After Shahzad, Gul expresses his desire to lead Pak T20 side
Karachi: Pakistan`s experienced pace bowler, Umar Gul is in the running for the captaincy of the national T20 team, according to sources in the cricket board.
Just days after opener, Ahmed Shahzad expressed his desire to lead the national side, Gul told reporters in Lahore today that if the cricket board offered him this responsibility he would be delighted.
"But honestly speaking right now my main focus is on regaining my full fitness because the knee operation I had last year has affected my career a lot," he said. "The way I look at it leading your national side is a big honor for any player but in my case first I have to be back to full fitness and in the selectors` plans," he said.
Several names have been discussed in the media since Muhammad Hafeez stepped down as the national T20 captain last month after Pakistan failed to qualify for the semi finals of the World T20 in Bangladesh.
Although the name of experienced allrounder, Shahid Afridi has been in the news, Shahzad has also emerged as a leading contender as ther is talk about Pakistan board wanting to appoint a young captain for this format.
Gul who has taken 173 one-day international wickets and another 80 in T20 matches has struggled with his fitness since last year and admitted missing the last eight tests of the national side were a big setback for him.
"It is disappointing to miss out of these matches but now I am targeting a comeback for the tour to Sri Lanka in July and August," he said. "And obviously I am working hard on my fitness because that is the only way I can be in contention for the World Cup 2015," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday