Akhtar could make best batsmen nervous: Gul
Karachi: Pakistan fast bowler Umar Gul said Shoaib Akhtar, when at his best, could ruffle the best batsmen in the world including West Indian great Brian Lara.
Akhtar, who retired after the World Cup earlier this year, had created a stir by claiming in his autobiography that the Indian batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar was scared to face him.
Gul did not directly comment on Akhtar`s remarks on Tendulkar but said the former quick with his sheer pace could make even the best in the business nervous.
"I can`t say specifically that I saw Tendulkar running away from Shoaib, but no one can deny that when Shoaib was at his fastest and best, the world`s best batsmen were nervous against him. There is no batsmen who is not nervous or ruffled when facing a pure fast bowler," Gul was quoted as saying by a website.
"Even Brian Lara, who I rate as the world`s best batsman, admitted to feeling ruffled when he was hit on the helmet by a bouncer from Shoaib."
Gul said he is opposed to legalising ball tampering as against Akhtar, who in the autobiography suggested to "set rules" for tampering.
He feels if the ball tampering is made legal, it would make it too easy to bowl reverse swing, which is an art, and some of the beauty of the game would be lost.
"I don`t think the way is to legalise it. Leave cricket with its traditional ways rather than making changes that would take all the charm out of it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert