Akram advises Pak to use threats by Hindu radicals as `motivation` during India tour
Karachi: Pakistani fast bowling legend Wasim Akram has said he is confident that the national team`s tour of India next month would pass off safely and urged the two sides to use threats by Hindu radicals as ``motivation``. "I can`t wait for this tour to happen. I am confident that the Indian government will make this tour a happy and safe one for our team because the whole world is waiting for this and want it to be series reviving one," the Daily Times quoted Wasim, as saying.
"We toured India despite threats. We had full confidence in Indian security and that tour came off very well and I am sure this time too India will make sure it go untroubled," said Wasim, who led Pakistan on the India tour in 1999 despite Shiv Sena activists dug up the pitch at the Delhi Stadium, forcing officials to move the first Test to Chennai.
India halted all bilateral cricket with Pakistan after Mumbai, but earlier this month approved the short tour announced by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in July. Pakistan will meet their archrivals in five one-day internationals and two Twenty20s in December and January, their first full series since 2007, but Indian Hindu groups have urged Delhi to cancel and threatened protests. The right-wing Shiv Sena and Vishwa Hindu Parishad demanded that India refuse to resume cricket ties until Pakistan brings to justice the masterminds behind the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks that left 166 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- 'Taliban strike sign of US exasperation with Pak's duplicity'
- Man arrested over Australia `terror` plot
- WATCH: Hazel Keech cheered from stands as Yuvraj Singh rediscovered form during SRH vs KKR match
- Separated Indian, Pakistani siblings meet in UAE after 48 yrs
- CPI(M) leader Sushanta Ghosh slapped in West Bengal court premises