Akram hails Dravid`s ability to perform under pressure
New Delhi: After Rahul Dravid called it a day from international cricket, Pakistan`s fast bowling legend Wasim Akram on Saturday admired the Indian batting great`s ability to perform under pressure with his flawless technique and confidence.
"He has been a great ambassador for the game and one of India`s finest. Dravid is definitely a true great of the gentleman`s game," Akram said.
"Sachin is undoubtedly a class act and is up there as one of the game`s greats. But Dravid has always performed under pressure," Akram added.
Akram said the time was appropriate for Dravid to hang his boots.
"If he has decided on his time for retirement, I will stand by his call. It is the right time to bid adieu as he has achieved all that he wanted to," Akram said.
Akram said he was in awe of the 39-year old who, since his Test debut at the Lord`s in 1996 against England, has stood up on several occasions as India`s saviour.
The 45-year old former speedster said Dravid has held fort and saved India from the blushes on several occasions.
"He has always been flawless in his technique. His will and confidence is commendable. He has made himself count whenever India has needed his services," admitted Akram.
Speaking on which veteran - Sachin or Laxman - should be the next to hang up their boots, Akram said, "They know their bodies and physical abilities. They must be aware of their form and the stamina to continue. And they do see their highlights after every match. They will know when the time is right."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre