All eyes on Supreme Court as BCCI president N Srinivasan refuses to quit
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: With Narayanaswami Srinivasan refusing to budge, all eyes will be on the Supreme Court on Thursday, which had two days back made it clear that the BCCI president should step down to enable a fair investigation in the Indian Premier League (IPL) betting scandal.
The court, which had on Tuesday asked the BCCI chief as to why he was sticking to the chair, wanted Srinivasan to quit on his own, otherwise it would pronounce its own decision if he doesn`t quit. The apex court will resume its hearing in the case today.
The powerful BCCI chief has continued to remain mum on the SC observation that he should step down from his post.
N Srinivasan on Wednesday said that he won't quit from his post and wait for the apex court order due on Thursday.
TV news channels quoted a defiant Srinivasan as saying, “I have done no wrong and no one can force me out of BCCI."
The beleaguered Srinivasan, who underwent a cataract surgery Wednesday, had a series of meeting with legal experts during the day though no official word as to what he plans to do has come out yet.
Srinivasan`s continued silence has raised speculation that he may not resign immediately but may wait for the hearing to resume before taking a final decision. Seeking a review is one of the options available to him.
Three of the five BCCI vice-presidents -- Shivlal Yadav, Ravi Sawant and Chitrak Mitra -- and former board president Shashank Manohar have already spoken out asking Srinivasan, who is likely to take over as the International Cricket Council`s (ICC) first chairman in July, to abide by the Supreme Court`s order.
Manohar, who was BCCI president when Srinivasan was the board secretary, said had he been in his successor`s place he would have resigned long time back. Manohar had called for Srinivasan`s resignation when the IPL betting scandal came to light last year.
Former BCCI president IS Bindra feels Srinivasan should have resigned long time back and said it was his continuation at the helm of affairs which brought Indian cricket to a "sorry state".
Union Minister Farooq Abdullah put his weight behind N Srinivasan, saying the BCCI president is a `man of honour` and will conform to the Supreme Court observations about stepping down.
Former BCCI treasurer Ajay Shirke, who had stepped down along with board secretary Sanjay Jagdale in the midst of the IPL scandal, said it was a sad day for the board.
With PTI/IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28