All our bowlers were off colour against Lanka, says Mithali
Mumbai: India skipper Mithali Raj blamed her bowlers after her team was knocked out of the ICC Women World Cup here tonight, saying all of them were "off colour" in the crucial Group A match against Sri Lanka.
"The Sri Lankan batsmen scored most of their runs at square of the wicket. It shows as a bowler where you are bowling. All the bowlers were off colour today. We can expect one or two bowlers of colour a day but not all of them," Raj said after the 138-run drubbing.
Considering the home side`s depth in bowling, Raj said she was surprised after the tourists posted 282 for five at the Brabourne Stadium.
"I think honestly 280 is something I didn`t expect Sri Lanka to score against us, the kind of bowling attack we had."
Losing three wickets quickly only added to woes, and Raj nodded in agreement.
"When you chase a big total, it is very important to have a good start. We lost a quick wicket and as we tried to build a little bit of partnership between me and Thirushkamini, it didn`t become big and after me when we lost Harmanpreet Kaur, I think the top three batsmen in a span of below 50 runs, that is where I thought the match is going to be tight."
"It is disappointing to be out of World Cup as a host team. I don`t think it was complacency but I had lot of faith in my bowlers. The kind of attack we had, I definitely felt 280 was a little more today.
"Honestly I don`t know... It is the seventh and eighth position. It is very disappointing."
Sri Lanka captain Shashikala Siriwardene called the win special.
"This is quite comfortable win. This is the first time we are beating India after 18 matches. It is special as the England victory and both were very important for us.
"This is the first time we are coming to super six, so we are hoping to do well.
"I am super happy. This might be my last world cup and I wanted to do something special for my team."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Perez grabs 3rd spot, gives Force India 4th ever podium finish
- Two dead, including one suspect, in Houston shooting: Police
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner