All our bowlers were off colour against Lanka, says Mithali
Mumbai: India skipper Mithali Raj blamed her bowlers after her team was knocked out of the ICC Women World Cup here tonight, saying all of them were "off colour" in the crucial Group A match against Sri Lanka.
"The Sri Lankan batsmen scored most of their runs at square of the wicket. It shows as a bowler where you are bowling. All the bowlers were off colour today. We can expect one or two bowlers of colour a day but not all of them," Raj said after the 138-run drubbing.
Considering the home side`s depth in bowling, Raj said she was surprised after the tourists posted 282 for five at the Brabourne Stadium.
"I think honestly 280 is something I didn`t expect Sri Lanka to score against us, the kind of bowling attack we had."
Losing three wickets quickly only added to woes, and Raj nodded in agreement.
"When you chase a big total, it is very important to have a good start. We lost a quick wicket and as we tried to build a little bit of partnership between me and Thirushkamini, it didn`t become big and after me when we lost Harmanpreet Kaur, I think the top three batsmen in a span of below 50 runs, that is where I thought the match is going to be tight."
"It is disappointing to be out of World Cup as a host team. I don`t think it was complacency but I had lot of faith in my bowlers. The kind of attack we had, I definitely felt 280 was a little more today.
"Honestly I don`t know... It is the seventh and eighth position. It is very disappointing."
Sri Lanka captain Shashikala Siriwardene called the win special.
"This is quite comfortable win. This is the first time we are beating India after 18 matches. It is special as the England victory and both were very important for us.
"This is the first time we are coming to super six, so we are hoping to do well.
"I am super happy. This might be my last world cup and I wanted to do something special for my team."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics