Amla has emergency surgery after painful blow
Wellington: South Africa batsman Hashim Amla has had emergency surgery after he was hit in the groin with the ball on the opening day of the third Test against New Zealand, the team said on Saturday.
The injury occurred on Friday when Amla got a thick inside edge to a delivery from Chris Martin and the ball cannoned into his groin area.
Amla, on 33 at the time, received treatment on the ground but continued batting before being dismissed for 63 attempting a pull shot from a short Mark Gillespie delivery. He was taken to hospital after his dismissal.
"Hashim underwent emergency exploratory surgery resulting from blunt trauma sustained to his groin region," team manager Mohammed Moosajee said in a statement. "He spent the night in hospital and was discharged this morning.
"The surgeon is satisfied with the outcome and expects Hashim to make a full recovery, however, it is unlikely that he will be able to take further part in the current test match at the Basin Reserve."
Assistant coach Russell Domingo said after the close of play on Friday he felt the injury may have contributed to Amla`s dismissal.
"It was a real un-Hashim like shot and maybe he was affected by the blow he took," Domingo said. "It may have limited his movement a bit."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video