Amla, Philander, Kirsten in top sports award nominations list
Johannesburg: South Africa cricket players, Hashim Amla and Vernon Philander, and coach Gary Kirsten have been recognised for their efforts over the past year as they got nominations in the South African Sports Awards (SASA).
Both Amla and Philander have got two nominations -- on the final shortlist of five for the Sportsman of the Year award and the final shortlist of seven for the Sports Star of the Year.
Kirsten is on the final nomination list for the Coach of the Year award, while South Africa side is also been nominated for Team of the Year award after their brilliant run in Test cricket which culminated in their taking the No.1 ranking from England during their successful tour to that country.
"These nominations are very well deserved and confirm of the high regard in which our national representatives are held," said Cricket South Africa Acting CEO Jacques Faul.
"The nomination of Hashim and Vernon for the Sports Star of the Year award is particularly pleasing as the voting was done by the general public and these are the essential stakeholders of South African cricket," Faul added.
The South African Sports Awards cover all genres and is the most prestigious sporting awards event of the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you