Amla, Philander, Kirsten in top sports award nominations list
Johannesburg: South Africa cricket players, Hashim Amla and Vernon Philander, and coach Gary Kirsten have been recognised for their efforts over the past year as they got nominations in the South African Sports Awards (SASA).
Both Amla and Philander have got two nominations -- on the final shortlist of five for the Sportsman of the Year award and the final shortlist of seven for the Sports Star of the Year.
Kirsten is on the final nomination list for the Coach of the Year award, while South Africa side is also been nominated for Team of the Year award after their brilliant run in Test cricket which culminated in their taking the No.1 ranking from England during their successful tour to that country.
"These nominations are very well deserved and confirm of the high regard in which our national representatives are held," said Cricket South Africa Acting CEO Jacques Faul.
"The nomination of Hashim and Vernon for the Sports Star of the Year award is particularly pleasing as the voting was done by the general public and these are the essential stakeholders of South African cricket," Faul added.
The South African Sports Awards cover all genres and is the most prestigious sporting awards event of the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre