Anderson can surpass Botham`s record, says Vaughan
London: Former England captain Michael Vaughan has predicted pacer James Anderson will surpass Sir Ian Botham`s record to become the country’s leading Test wicket-taker.
"Botham`s record of 383 is in the balance. James has to stay fit but he will play for a few more years yet and I do think he will end up as England`s leading wicket-taker of all time,” Vaughan was quoted as saying by a TV channel.
His statement came after Anderson, 29, reached the 250 mark with 3-56 as Sri Lanka put up a score of 289-8 on day one of the Galle Test.
Anderson joins fellow Lancastrian Brian Statham in fifth place the England`s wicket taking list, but he said that he would wait until the end of his career to reflect on any personal achievements.
"I`m delighted to get to 250, but my job is to take wickets and help us win this Test. Once my career has finished I can look back with fond memories, but for now I`m focusing on what`s gone on out here,” he said.
Anderson admitted to a degree of frustration as England saw Sri Lanka rally from 15-3, with the help of Mahela Jayawardene`s unbeaten 168 and four dropped catches.
"It`s in the balance. If you`d given us that score we`d have taken it but chances went down which is frustrating," Anderson added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read