Anderson can surpass Botham`s record, says Vaughan
London: Former England captain Michael Vaughan has predicted pacer James Anderson will surpass Sir Ian Botham`s record to become the country’s leading Test wicket-taker.
"Botham`s record of 383 is in the balance. James has to stay fit but he will play for a few more years yet and I do think he will end up as England`s leading wicket-taker of all time,” Vaughan was quoted as saying by a TV channel.
His statement came after Anderson, 29, reached the 250 mark with 3-56 as Sri Lanka put up a score of 289-8 on day one of the Galle Test.
Anderson joins fellow Lancastrian Brian Statham in fifth place the England`s wicket taking list, but he said that he would wait until the end of his career to reflect on any personal achievements.
"I`m delighted to get to 250, but my job is to take wickets and help us win this Test. Once my career has finished I can look back with fond memories, but for now I`m focusing on what`s gone on out here,” he said.
Anderson admitted to a degree of frustration as England saw Sri Lanka rally from 15-3, with the help of Mahela Jayawardene`s unbeaten 168 and four dropped catches.
"It`s in the balance. If you`d given us that score we`d have taken it but chances went down which is frustrating," Anderson added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India