Anderson says Cook’s ‘inspirational’ dressing room speeches get players to follow him
London: Fast bowler James Anderson has praised Test captain Alastair Cook’s leadership skills, saying the opening batsman gets his players to follow him with his inspirational speeches in the dressing room.
Anderson feels the Essex opener is perfect to take over from the hugely respected Andrew Strauss as England seek to reclaim their No 1 Test status.
“It’s very exciting having a new bloke in charge. It will be a bit strange for the first couple of weeks without Strauss barking orders. But Cooky has done a great job leading the one-day side and everyone has enjoyed his captaincy style,” the Sun quoted Anderson, as saying.
“People might think Cooky and Straussy are similar characters because of their public school upbringing and both being left-handed openers. But the reality is they are completely different,” he added.
“Straussy was always destined to be captain. He had a Churchillian way about him. He was very eloquent when he spoke and everyone listened. Cooky can rouse the troops but in a different way,” he said.
Anderson added: “Some of his speeches when captaining the one-day team have been great. He gets the guys to follow him and win games of cricket. He has done that brilliantly.”
“We’re the No 1-ranked one-day team. One thing Cooky will do well is put his own stamp on the job. He won’t try to emulate Strauss. That’s the worst thing he could do,” he further said.
“Cooky is a very determined bloke. Never underestimate him just because he looks like a choirboy. When he gets a challenge, he really wants to take it on,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31