Anil Kumble appointed chairman of ICC Cricket Committee
Colombo: Former India captain Anil Kumble was today unanimously appointed chairman of ICC`s Cricket Committee by the game`s governing body, replacing West Indies great Clive Lloyd.
"In Anil Kumble, we have a new chairman who has unquestioned experience not only as a player with India but also as an administrator with Karnataka State Cricket Association as well," ICC President Alan Isaac said in a statement after the Executive Board meeting here.
Kumble, 41, took 619 wickets in 132 Test and 337 wickets in 271 ODIs wickets during his illustrious 18-year international career.
"I am sure that he (Kumble) will carry on Clive`s good work and bring, like Andrew Strauss, contemporary thinking to the committee and both understand clearly the issues facing the modern game," he added.
The recently-retired Strauss was unanimously nominated as Ian Bishop`s replacement in the committee after the West Indian, representing former players, indicated that he was not seeking an extension to his term.
"I would like to thank Clive Lloyd for his chairmanship of the ICC Cricket Committee and to his tireless contribution to the game. The ICC Board was united in their admiration for his work as chairman. We also thank Ian Bishop for his contribution during his term as well," Isaac further stated.
According to ICC sources, Kumble has been given a two-year term. The Cricket Committee meets twice a year and the second meeting of the year is likely to be held in November.
The ICC Board also agreed to extend the terms of both Mark Taylor (representing former players) and David Kendix (statisticians) for a further term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm