Anil Kumble appointed chairman of ICC Cricket Committee
Colombo: Former India captain Anil Kumble was today unanimously appointed chairman of ICC`s Cricket Committee by the game`s governing body, replacing West Indies great Clive Lloyd.
"In Anil Kumble, we have a new chairman who has unquestioned experience not only as a player with India but also as an administrator with Karnataka State Cricket Association as well," ICC President Alan Isaac said in a statement after the Executive Board meeting here.
Kumble, 41, took 619 wickets in 132 Test and 337 wickets in 271 ODIs wickets during his illustrious 18-year international career.
"I am sure that he (Kumble) will carry on Clive`s good work and bring, like Andrew Strauss, contemporary thinking to the committee and both understand clearly the issues facing the modern game," he added.
The recently-retired Strauss was unanimously nominated as Ian Bishop`s replacement in the committee after the West Indian, representing former players, indicated that he was not seeking an extension to his term.
"I would like to thank Clive Lloyd for his chairmanship of the ICC Cricket Committee and to his tireless contribution to the game. The ICC Board was united in their admiration for his work as chairman. We also thank Ian Bishop for his contribution during his term as well," Isaac further stated.
According to ICC sources, Kumble has been given a two-year term. The Cricket Committee meets twice a year and the second meeting of the year is likely to be held in November.
The ICC Board also agreed to extend the terms of both Mark Taylor (representing former players) and David Kendix (statisticians) for a further term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?