Anil Kumble appointed chairman of ICC Cricket Committee
Colombo: Former India captain Anil Kumble was today unanimously appointed chairman of ICC`s Cricket Committee by the game`s governing body, replacing West Indies great Clive Lloyd.
"In Anil Kumble, we have a new chairman who has unquestioned experience not only as a player with India but also as an administrator with Karnataka State Cricket Association as well," ICC President Alan Isaac said in a statement after the Executive Board meeting here.
Kumble, 41, took 619 wickets in 132 Test and 337 wickets in 271 ODIs wickets during his illustrious 18-year international career.
"I am sure that he (Kumble) will carry on Clive`s good work and bring, like Andrew Strauss, contemporary thinking to the committee and both understand clearly the issues facing the modern game," he added.
The recently-retired Strauss was unanimously nominated as Ian Bishop`s replacement in the committee after the West Indian, representing former players, indicated that he was not seeking an extension to his term.
"I would like to thank Clive Lloyd for his chairmanship of the ICC Cricket Committee and to his tireless contribution to the game. The ICC Board was united in their admiration for his work as chairman. We also thank Ian Bishop for his contribution during his term as well," Isaac further stated.
According to ICC sources, Kumble has been given a two-year term. The Cricket Committee meets twice a year and the second meeting of the year is likely to be held in November.
The ICC Board also agreed to extend the terms of both Mark Taylor (representing former players) and David Kendix (statisticians) for a further term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what