Anjum dropped as Mithali Raj named captain for England tour
New Delhi: The senior women`s selection committee of BCCI on Monday reinstated Mithali Raj as the captain of the Indian women team`s for England tour replacing veteran batsmen Anjum Chopra, who has also been dropped from the 15-member squad.
The decision was on the cards as Chopra`s appointment as captain of the national team after being out for two years didn`t go down well with all and sundry.
35-year-old Anjum`s performance with the bat only increased the criticism directed at her as she managed only 79 runs in the six one day matches against the West Indies and Australia along with a meagre 119 runs from 10 Twnety20 Internationals.
Mithali, on the otherhand has been one of India`s most consistent performers and one expected her to get back to the hot seat after the selectors decided on removing Jhulan Goswami from captain`s post earlier this year. Harman Preet Kaur will be Mithali`s deputy during the 16-day trip where India will play two T20 Internationals along with five ODIs.
Squad: Mithali Raj (Captain), Harman Preet Kaur (Vice-Captain), Sulakshana Naik, Suneeta Anand, Jhulan Goswami, Ameeta Sharma, Poonam Raut, Reema Malhotra, S Subalaxmi, Veda Krishnamurthy, Gauhar Sultana, Ekta Bisht, Archana Das, N Niranjana, Mona Meshram.
• 26/06/2012: England v India T20
• 28/06/2012: England v India T20
• 01/07/2012: England v India ODI
• 04/07/2012: England v India ODI
• 05/07/2012: England v India ODI
• 08/07/2012 England v India ODI
• 11/07/2012: England v India ODI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India