Ankeet Chavan released from Tihar Jail
New Delhi: Suspended cricketer Ankeet Chavan, who was arrested on allegations of spot-fixing, was today released from Tihar Jail, a day after a court granted him bail to solemnise his marriage.
"Chavan was released from Jail Number 1 at 8:05 PM," Tihar Law officer Sunil Gupta told PTI.
Chavan had sought bail on the ground that his marriage is fixed for June 2 and if the wedding does not take place it will harm his reputation and that of his fiancee.
He was granted bail till June 6.
Chavan had to deposit two sureties of Rs 1 lakh each and a personal bond of Rs 1 lakh with the court before he was granted bail.
The cricketer was directed to surrender his passport and not to make any direct of indirect inducement to any person related to the case. He was arrested on May 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating
- Smoking inside home makes kids ill
- Turkey says prevented 85 security incidents since January
- Nagaland Board of School Education (HSLC) Class 10 Results 2016 to be declared today; check nbsenagaland.com, nagaland.gov.in