Anya Shrubsole`s fifer helps England beat South Africa by 7 wickets
Cuttack: Seamer Anya Shrubsole returned with a five-wicket haul as defending champions England dished out a brilliant all-round performance to thrash South Africa by seven wickets in their Super Six match of the ICC Women`s cricket World Cup here on Sunday.
Shrubsole produced a devastating spell of pace bowling to claim all the top five South African batters and leave them gasping for breath at 42 for five in 16 overs after skipper Charlotte Edwards decided to field on winning the toss.
While Shrubsole gave just 17 runs in her 10 overs, teammate Danielle Wyatt mopped up the South African tail, taking the last three batswomen in just nine deliveries to skittle them out for a paltry 77 in 29.3 overs.
England then overhauled the target by making 81 in 9.3 overs after losing three wickets at the Barabati Stadium here.
Lydia Greenway (25) and Arran Brindle (28) took the team home after the dismissal of Edwards (6), Wyatt (14) and Sarah Taylor (0). Greenway hit five fours in her unbeaten 30-ball innings, while Brindle cracked six boundaries in 16 deliveries that she faced.
For South Africa, CL Tryon and M Kapp took two and one wicket respectively.
Earlier, Shrubsole picked up two wickets -- opener Yolandi Potgieter (1) and M du Preez (0) -- within a space of four balls in her first over to leave South Africa at 2-5 in two overs. Both Potgieter and Preez were trapped in front of the wicket.
Shrubsole then had Chetty caught by Jenny Gunn and trapped Cri-zelda Brits in front of the wicket as South Africa slipped to 18 for four.
The 21-year-old returned again in her eighth over and cleaned up Marizanne Kapp (13) as South Africa looked down the barrel after losing five wickets in 16 overs.
In the ninth over, spinner Holly Colvin dismissed Shandre Fritz (10) when she was caught by Greenway, while Katherine Brunt accounted for Chloe Tryon`s wicket in the 22nd over.
S Ismail (16) and D van Niekerk then tried to do some damage control and played together for six overs but spinner Wyatt claimed the wickets of former and Sunette Loubser (0) in last three balls of her first over.
Wyatt then returned to catch and bowl the last wicket of M Letsoalo (1) in her second over as South Africa folded for 77.
Chasing the total, Edwards and Wyatt made an aggressive start but England soon slipped to 26 for three in 3.5 overs.
However, Greenway and Brindle made sure there were no more hiccups as they added a match-winning 55-run partnership for the fourth wicket in 5.4 overs to take the team home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’