Anya Shrubsole`s fifer helps England beat South Africa by 7 wickets
Cuttack: Seamer Anya Shrubsole returned with a five-wicket haul as defending champions England dished out a brilliant all-round performance to thrash South Africa by seven wickets in their Super Six match of the ICC Women`s cricket World Cup here on Sunday.
Shrubsole produced a devastating spell of pace bowling to claim all the top five South African batters and leave them gasping for breath at 42 for five in 16 overs after skipper Charlotte Edwards decided to field on winning the toss.
While Shrubsole gave just 17 runs in her 10 overs, teammate Danielle Wyatt mopped up the South African tail, taking the last three batswomen in just nine deliveries to skittle them out for a paltry 77 in 29.3 overs.
England then overhauled the target by making 81 in 9.3 overs after losing three wickets at the Barabati Stadium here.
Lydia Greenway (25) and Arran Brindle (28) took the team home after the dismissal of Edwards (6), Wyatt (14) and Sarah Taylor (0). Greenway hit five fours in her unbeaten 30-ball innings, while Brindle cracked six boundaries in 16 deliveries that she faced.
For South Africa, CL Tryon and M Kapp took two and one wicket respectively.
Earlier, Shrubsole picked up two wickets -- opener Yolandi Potgieter (1) and M du Preez (0) -- within a space of four balls in her first over to leave South Africa at 2-5 in two overs. Both Potgieter and Preez were trapped in front of the wicket.
Shrubsole then had Chetty caught by Jenny Gunn and trapped Cri-zelda Brits in front of the wicket as South Africa slipped to 18 for four.
The 21-year-old returned again in her eighth over and cleaned up Marizanne Kapp (13) as South Africa looked down the barrel after losing five wickets in 16 overs.
In the ninth over, spinner Holly Colvin dismissed Shandre Fritz (10) when she was caught by Greenway, while Katherine Brunt accounted for Chloe Tryon`s wicket in the 22nd over.
S Ismail (16) and D van Niekerk then tried to do some damage control and played together for six overs but spinner Wyatt claimed the wickets of former and Sunette Loubser (0) in last three balls of her first over.
Wyatt then returned to catch and bowl the last wicket of M Letsoalo (1) in her second over as South Africa folded for 77.
Chasing the total, Edwards and Wyatt made an aggressive start but England soon slipped to 26 for three in 3.5 overs.
However, Greenway and Brindle made sure there were no more hiccups as they added a match-winning 55-run partnership for the fourth wicket in 5.4 overs to take the team home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in