Appanna records statement with Delhi Police
New Delhi: Cricketer K P Appanna on Monday recorded his statement with Delhi Police after his name cropped up during investigations into the molestation case of an American woman allegedly by an Australian cricketer.
The left-arm spinner was allegedly seen in CCTV footages as accompanying Luke Pomersbach, the cricketer who is accused of molesting Zohal Hamid in a five-star hotel last Friday.
Pomersbach, who plays for Royal Challengers in the IPL, was arrested on Friday after Zohal alleged that he molested her and hit her fiance Sahil Peerzada when he objected to the cricketer`s behaviour. Peerzada was punched in his ear following which he had to undergo a surgery.
Police sources said the 23-year-old left-arm spinner denied that he tried to force into the room of Hamid and Peerzada. He also denied the allegations that he threatened Hamid to withdraw the case against Pomersbach, they said.
However, sources claimed he told police that he accompanied Pomersbach when he went to the victim`s room for the second time.
A senior police official earlier said they had examined the CCTV footages and identified Appanna.
"We had spoken to him earlier. Now, his statement has been recorded," the official said.
Hamid had alleged that some team members of Luke had pressurised her to withdraw the case against Pomersbach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan