Arthur asks Oz selectors to recall Hussey for World Cup
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 00:00
  
Arthur asks Oz selectors to recall Hussey for World CupSydney: Western Australia coach Mickey Arthur has called on national selectors to hand Mike Hussey a World Cup recall, claiming the 35-year-old is fit and ready to perform for his country.

Hussey, who underwent hamstring surgery in January, will make his playing return this week when he lines up for WA in its Sheffield Shield clash with Queensland at the WACA Ground, starting tomorrow.

Arthur said Hussey’s experience and proven ability on the sub-continent made him a perfect candidate.

Hussey has said that he is injury-free and ready to perform at the 2011 World Cup if the selectors give him a recall.

Hussey, one of Australia’s most important players, was controversially omitted from the World Cup squad last month, with selectors fearing that he wouldn’t recover in time from hamstring surgery.

With selectors considering who should replace injured paceman Doug Bollinger at the World Cup, Hussey has put his hand up for a recall.

“I have been trying hard to take my focus away from playing in the cricket World Cup - but I am over my hamstring injury and will be ready if the selectors give me the call,” The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Hussey, as saying.
“I am really confident of getting through Western Australia`s upcoming Sheffield Shield match against Queensland and feel I am right on track.”

“I’d love the chance to play in the World Cup, but I think the selectors have made the right call to wait and see how we go over the next game or two before sending someone over to replace Doug Bollinger,” Hussey said.ANI

First Published: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 00:00


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular in News