Arthur believes ‘incredible’ Watson can emulate ‘all rounder’ Kallis’ achievements
Sydney: Australia coach Mickey Arthur has claimed all rounder Shane Watson has all the qualities to reach to South African great Jacques Kallis’ level.
Arthur believes Watson has under-achieved in the Test format, and has revealed his top-most mission from now onwards is to make sure the all rounder gets good success in the longest version of the game.
The Australian vice-captain has been the most influential figure at the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka so far and produced his second man-of-the-match performance in the rain-affected win over the West Indies on Saturday night.
Watson has just two Test centuries to his name and 18 half centuries in 35 Test matches, and Arthur feels it is important for him to start getting more runs in the longer format of the game.
“Without a doubt, he can [be as good as Kallis]. Watto is such an incredible all-rounder,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Arthur, as saying.
“He has a major impact on any game he plays in. What he needs to do is score hundreds. Jacques Kallis` record in Test cricket is sublime, especially with the bat,” he added.
“Watto is aware he needs to convert a lot more starts. He’s only got two Test hundreds which for a player of his talent is probably below-par and he would acknowledge that,” he said.
Arthur added: “One of my roles with Jacques was to try to get an extra 10 per cent out of him because there was an extra 10 per cent lying dormant somewhere. I think he’s done that, and it’s very, very similar with Watto.”
“I would have failed as coach of Australia if Watto doesn’t end up with 10 Test hundreds, he’s that good. We’ve got to push him and give him the direction. He should be getting at least two Test hundreds a year, comfortably,” he concluded.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India