Arthur emerges as strong favourite to become new Aussie coach
Sydney: Cricket Australia has announced that the field for a new coach had been reduced to six from a list of 80, but Mickey Arthur has emerged as the strong favourite.
Arthur dragged the Proteas to the top of the Test rankings from a similar mediocre position to the one Australia now finds itself in.
Arthur refused to discuss speculation that he was closing in on the Australian coaching job.
"It`s all confidential," Arthur told The Age, with CA expected to make an announcement next week.
Pat Howard and James Sutherland have also interviewed Steve Rixon, who has a strong relationship with Australian captain Michael Clarke.
A CA spokesman said an initial shortlist of 10, including some overseas applicants, had been trimmed to six.
Australians Tom Moody and Justin Langer were in the mix, with CA expected to make a decision next week, given it is under pressure to fill the coaching vacuum before the Test team`s next engagement against New Zealand from December 1.
Rixon has the advantage of a strong relationship with captain Michael Clarke, and helped Fleming become one of the world`s best captains when they worked together in New Zealand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves