`Older, wiser` Johnson says has `burning desire` to be Oz matchwinner for Ashes
Sydney: Australian pace bowler Mitchell Johnson has insisted that he still has the `burning desire` to be part of an Ashes squad, saying that he is older, wiser, stronger and wants a chance to prove that he can once again be a match winner for Australia.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the left-armer`s previously dynamic pace bowling faltered badly four years ago as he struggled to cope with the pressure of a family dispute and the abuse from English fans.
However, Johnson is confident that he is ready to show that he has learned from the mistakes of his forgettable 2009 tour of England, saying that he still wishes to play in more Test matches, especially the Ashes, as he has no fear left given that he has experienced one of the toughest periods of his life both on and off the field.
According to the report, Johnson made a strong Test return against South Africa and Sri Lanka last season but was overlooked for the Ashes following one fruitless outing in the 4-0 series whitewash in India, although he used this break to improve his strength, fitness and bowling technique.
The Perth-based quick, who is working closely with Dennis Lillee and has lengthened his run-up to improve his rhythm, also said that he is trying hard not to bowl flat-stick every ball, adding that Lillee had advised him to work on different things like cutters and out-thinking the batsmen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!