2nd Ashes Test, Day 2: England lead by 264 runs after Swann`s five-for
London: Graeme Swann`s fifer put hosts England on top as they bowled out Australia for 128 and took a 264-run lead on day two of the second Test at Lord`s here Friday.
Swann spun a web around the English batsman who looked short on ideas on how to tackle the off-spinner.
Shane Watson (30) and Michael Clarke (28) were the only Aussie batsmen who put up a bit of a fight on a day when 16 wickets fell.
Australia, though, managed to reduce England to 30 for three in the second innings at stumps to give themselves some hope of a fightback.
Captain Alistair Cook (8), Jonathan Trott (0) and Kevin Pietersen (5) were all dismissed in the space of five overs in a late flourish for the Australians.
Joe Root was not out on 18 and was joined by nightwatchman Tim Bresnan who is yet to open his account.
England were bowled out for 361 in their first innings.
The hosts started the day on 289 for seven and lost Tim Bresnan (7) in the very first ball.
Pacer Ryan Harris, who had taken three wickets on the first day, was again the tormentor for the English. He removed James Anderson (12) for his second wicket of the day and his second career five-wicket haul.
However, Stuart Broad (33) and Swann (28 not out) put in a late show of defiance, stringing together a 48-run stand for the last wicket.
Watson smashed six fours in his brief innings, giving Australia a fast start. But few would have guessed what was to come as the visitors lost the next nine wickets for just 86 runs.
Tim Bresnan took two wickets while James Anderson and Stuart Broad chipped in with one each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends