Ahmed out of Ashes contention following poor domestic show
Sydney: Former Pakistani refugee-turned Australian leg-spinner Fawad Ahmed is reportedly out of contention for the Test squad for the winter Ashes series following a bad week of Sheffield Shield cricket for domestic side Victoria.
Ahmed was always going to be the gamble that Australia could not afford to take once all-rounder Shane Watson broke down with a minor hamstring strain, with his poor domestic show reinforcing the view that he is too big a risk.
According to News.com.au, Ahmed`s elimination from the list of probable Test candidates leaves just one place in the team up for grabs and makes it a tight tussle between ODI captain George Bailey and Alex Doolan, which will be decided when the selectors finalise the side at a meeting in Brisbane on Monday.
According to the report, although Ahmed shot into Test calculations when he claimed 6-68 in the Shield in the beginning, he, however, had poor collective figures of 1-166 and has conceded more than four runs an over in his past three Shield innings.
The report further said that with only three front-line fast bowlers, including a sometimes wayward Mitchell Johnson, the selectors are not prepared to gamble with Ahmed, although it added that the leg-spinner may still play later in the series if he can begin claiming wickets again and Watson resumes bowling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!