Ahmed out of Ashes contention following poor domestic show
Sydney: Former Pakistani refugee-turned Australian leg-spinner Fawad Ahmed is reportedly out of contention for the Test squad for the winter Ashes series following a bad week of Sheffield Shield cricket for domestic side Victoria.
Ahmed was always going to be the gamble that Australia could not afford to take once all-rounder Shane Watson broke down with a minor hamstring strain, with his poor domestic show reinforcing the view that he is too big a risk.
According to News.com.au, Ahmed`s elimination from the list of probable Test candidates leaves just one place in the team up for grabs and makes it a tight tussle between ODI captain George Bailey and Alex Doolan, which will be decided when the selectors finalise the side at a meeting in Brisbane on Monday.
According to the report, although Ahmed shot into Test calculations when he claimed 6-68 in the Shield in the beginning, he, however, had poor collective figures of 1-166 and has conceded more than four runs an over in his past three Shield innings.
The report further said that with only three front-line fast bowlers, including a sometimes wayward Mitchell Johnson, the selectors are not prepared to gamble with Ahmed, although it added that the leg-spinner may still play later in the series if he can begin claiming wickets again and Watson resumes bowling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- As Virat Kohli and co prepare for WI tour, MS Dhoni enjoys bike ride in Ranchi rain
- Ramayana had another heroine besides SITA – Know more about her contributions
- Samajwadi Party 'goondaraj' in UP? Azam Khan slaps Project Engineer
- This gene puts you at increased kidney disease risk
- 7th Pay Commission: Here's why the latest bonanza won't amuse govt staffers much