Anderson says Cook not to be trifled with
London: Senior England fast bowler and Ashes hero James Anderson has said that team captain Alastair Cook is not a person to be `trifled with`, despite his `boyish demeanour`.
According to the Daily Express, another 22 wickets this summer has pushed Anderson up to second in the list of England wicket-takers with 329, surpassed by only Sir Ian Botham, although his effectiveness waned in a long summer that included a run to the final of the ICC Champions Trophy.
The report said that after the Ashes, head coach Andy Flower withdrew Anderson from the current ODI series against Australia, telling him to give his mind and body a rest before the return series in Australia that starts in November.
Stating that the key thing for Cook was to keep his team fighting as hard as they can in the summer, Anderson said that the way Cook goes about his business, prepares for a game, his determination and his words show his passion for the game, adding that Cook helped his men show enough character and fight to win the Ashes series.
Anderson, who has played under the leadership of Nasser Hussain, Andrew Flintoff , Michael Vaughan, Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Strauss in his 87 Tests, also said that the determination of Cook comes out in his words, adding that he gives speeches which are to the point and gets his message across, instead of long-winded `Churchillian` speeches.
However, Anderson admitted that his team did not play anywhere near their potential during the Ashes series, adding that they will have to `buck up` their ideas if they want to win in Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion