Ashes 2013: Australia 75/4 against England on day 1
Nottingham: Australia were 75 for four in reply to England`s first innings 215, a deficit of 140 runs, at stumps on the first day of the first Ashes Test at Nottingham`s Trent Bridge on Wednesday.
Steven Smith was 38 not out and Phil Hughes seven not out after fast bowler Steven Finn (two for 37) took two wickets in two balls and James Anderson (two for 25) clean bowled Australia captain Michael Clarke for nought.
Earlier, Australia fast-medium bowler Peter Siddle took five wickets for 50 runs in 14 overs as England were bowled out cheaply after winning the toss.
No England batsman made a fifty, with Jonathan Trott`s 48 the top score.
This is the first of a five-Test contest with England bidding for a third successive series win over Australia -- something they last achieved in the 1950s -- after their 2009 and 2010/11 Ashes triumphs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption