Ashes 2013: Can David Warner make a difference to the current Australian squad?
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: After missing the first two Ashes Tests, explosive Australian left-hander David Warner is likely to be included in the squad for the third Test after he scored an impressive 193 for his country`s A side.
Warner’s innings included 9 fours and a six against South Africa A, and he was also involved in a 204-run fifth-wicket partnership with Glenn Maxwell.
Warner who has three Test centuries to his name, was suspended until the start of the first Ashes Test for punching England`s Joe Root in a bar.
Warner was replaced by Chris Rodgers who has scored just 89 runs from the two Tests, 52 off which came from his first innings. Warner might not be in the most formidable form, but then he is a player who can single-handedly change the complexion of a match. His fielding is something which will give him an edge over other contenders.
Michael Clarke and Shane Watson are the only two formidable batsmen in the squad and Warner’s presence could relieve some pressure off them. Australia are currently trailing 0-2 in the five-match series.
The third Ashes Test begins on August 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore