Australia at rock bottom, Lyon must start: Glenn McGrath
Sydney: Australia have hit rock bottom with their defeat to England in the second Ashes Test and spinner Nathan Lyon must be recalled at the expense of Ashton Agar if they are to turn things around, according to fast bowling great Glenn McGrath.
McGrath`s traditional prediction of a 5-0 Ashes series sweep for Australia has been proved well wide of the mark this year with England winning the first two Tests, the second at Lord`s by 347 runs.
The 43-year-old believes Australia`s situation is salvageable if the top six batsmen can put a higher price on their wickets and off-spinner Lyon is in the team when the third Test begins at Old Trafford on Aug 1.
"They say that you have to hit the bottom before you can start to get back up. And that is where this Australia team are right now, rock bottom," he wrote in a column in the Guardian.
"If these players have not heard the wake-up call by now, then they do not deserve to be in the Australia team. They have to turn this series around right now.”
"If they don`t, some of the blokes in this squad could find that their international careers end with the fifth test at The Oval."
Teenager Agar`s sparkling 98 with the bat on debut was the highlight of the first Test for Australia but his left arm finger spinning has earned him just two wickets at a cost of 248 runs in the two matches so far.
"Nathan Lyon, between his debut in 2011 and the start of this series, took as many wickets in Test cricket as any other Australian bowler, 76 at an average of 33. He should start the next Test," McGrath wrote.
"I also expect Fawad Ahmed, who just took eight wickets in a match for Australia A in Zimbabwe, to come into the squad.
"I like Ashton Agar and admire his energy but on these dry pitches, we need a spinner who can make more of an impact on a match than he is able to at this early stage in his career."
McGrath`s expectations for Pakistan-born leg-spinner Ahmad, who was fast-tracked through the citizenship process to make him available for the series, might not be fulfilled.
Australia coach Darren Lehmann has said he will not be looking outside his squad for reinforcements ahead of the Old Trafford Test, albeit before it was announced that James Pattinson had been ruled out of the series by injury.
McGrath`s recipe for improving the batting was not personality change but simply that the batsmen play better, starting with under-fire opener Shane Watson.
The former paceman said, like England quick James Anderson, he would be targeting Watson`s weakness for being out lbw if he was bowling against him.
"He has always promised a lot and now he has to deliver," added McGrath.
"I think he needs to score at least a couple of hundreds in what is left of this series, because he is one of those guys who is, potentially, at crunch time in his Test career."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM