Australia paceman Mitchell Starc in doubt for Ashes
Melbourne: Australia paceman Mitchell Starc is in doubt for the return Ashes series against England after suffering a stress fracture in his lower back.
The 23-year-old left-armer flew home from England after Australia lost the Ashes 3-0 and scans had shown an "early stage" fracture, Cricket Australia (CA) said on Monday.
"His management plan will be determined in the coming days but he is expected to be unavailable for a prolonged period," CA chief medical officer Justin Paoloni said in a statement.
Australia`s emerging crop of fast bowlers have all suffered lower back problems, with James Pattinson forced to leave the Ashes tour after two Tests and 20-year-old talent Pat Cummins already ruled out for the return five-match series.
Three-Test seamer Jackson Bird, who also returned home with a back injury, was expected to be fit for the Ashes, CA said.
Paceman Ryan Harris, Australia`s top wicket-taker in the recent Ashes series, will be sidelined for two months with a hamstring problem but should be ready for the first Test against England starting November 21 at the Gabba in Brisbane.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra