Chris Rogers urges Oz selectors to pick team based on merit, not age
Brisbane: Veteran Australian batsman Chris Rogers has urged national selectors to choose players for the Test side based on merit, not age.
According to the Courier Mail, Rogers was a left-field selection for the recent Ashes series in England, with selectors bucking the trend of calling up young batsmen such as Phil Hughes, Usman Khawaja and Steve Smith by giving the Victoria opener a second bite at Test cricket.
The 36-year-old had one shot at the big time back in 2008, but a combination of good first-class form and experience in England earned him another crack earlier this year, and he vindicated the decision by being one of the tourists` most consistent batsmen in a disappointing series, the report said.
While Rogers is now a lock for the first Ashes Test next month, there are still several positions in Australia`s fragile batting line-up that are up for grabs, the report added.
Rogers said that he was aware that there is a big push for youth but he thought that as a batsman one does not come intro the prime until after 30.
He said that if the Australian side had to be picked, the best side available should be chosen always, whether that be George Bailey, Adam Voges or David Hussey or whether it is any of the young guys.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25