Chris Rogers urges Oz selectors to pick team based on merit, not age
Brisbane: Veteran Australian batsman Chris Rogers has urged national selectors to choose players for the Test side based on merit, not age.
According to the Courier Mail, Rogers was a left-field selection for the recent Ashes series in England, with selectors bucking the trend of calling up young batsmen such as Phil Hughes, Usman Khawaja and Steve Smith by giving the Victoria opener a second bite at Test cricket.
The 36-year-old had one shot at the big time back in 2008, but a combination of good first-class form and experience in England earned him another crack earlier this year, and he vindicated the decision by being one of the tourists` most consistent batsmen in a disappointing series, the report said.
While Rogers is now a lock for the first Ashes Test next month, there are still several positions in Australia`s fragile batting line-up that are up for grabs, the report added.
Rogers said that he was aware that there is a big push for youth but he thought that as a batsman one does not come intro the prime until after 30.
He said that if the Australian side had to be picked, the best side available should be chosen always, whether that be George Bailey, Adam Voges or David Hussey or whether it is any of the young guys.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials