Chris Rogers urges Oz selectors to pick team based on merit, not age
Brisbane: Veteran Australian batsman Chris Rogers has urged national selectors to choose players for the Test side based on merit, not age.
According to the Courier Mail, Rogers was a left-field selection for the recent Ashes series in England, with selectors bucking the trend of calling up young batsmen such as Phil Hughes, Usman Khawaja and Steve Smith by giving the Victoria opener a second bite at Test cricket.
The 36-year-old had one shot at the big time back in 2008, but a combination of good first-class form and experience in England earned him another crack earlier this year, and he vindicated the decision by being one of the tourists` most consistent batsmen in a disappointing series, the report said.
While Rogers is now a lock for the first Ashes Test next month, there are still several positions in Australia`s fragile batting line-up that are up for grabs, the report added.
Rogers said that he was aware that there is a big push for youth but he thought that as a batsman one does not come intro the prime until after 30.
He said that if the Australian side had to be picked, the best side available should be chosen always, whether that be George Bailey, Adam Voges or David Hussey or whether it is any of the young guys.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'