Clarke, McGrath backs Johnson to have `major impact` in winter Ashes
Sydney: Australian captain Michael Clarke and former Test bowler Glenn McGrath has backed enigmatic paceman Mitchell Johnson to have a big impact in the upcoming winter Ashes series, starting in Gabba on November 21.
Johnson, who impressed with his pace in India, showcased his expensive worst and his destructive best with match figures of 0-170 in Brisbane and 9-82 in Perth during the last home Ashes series, although his 35 wickets in nine Ashes Test have cost a lavish 34.42 runs, making him a regular target of taunts from English fans.
However, News.com.au reports that Clarke said there is no reason why the left-hander cannot reproduce his best form during the Ashes given that he has an exceptional record in Test cricket and is a big player for Australia, adding that he is as dangerous as before and will grab any opportunity with both hands.
Clarke further said that if Johnson bowls enough overs, he is going to go for runs, adding that he is confident that Johnson can find the consistency that has eluded him in previous Ashes series as he is bowling at speeds of 145-150ks consistently.
The Guardian reports that McGrath also nominated Johnson as a major threat to England in their defence of the Ashes in order to avenge his abuse from England supporters in his previous Ashes appearances
According to McGrath, he is impressed with the way Johnson has been bowling for which he believes that the bowler will have a major impact in Australia`s fight for the urn, adding that he has sorted out the few issues he had mentally and technically with help from legend Dennis Lillee and has come back a much better bowler than before.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing