Clarke`s men taking inspiration from Brits for Ashes due to lack of Aussie sport heroes
London: The Australian squad going into the Ashes is reportedly looking for inspiration from British sports heroes, especially Andy Murray, as their country runs short on sports icons with heavy failures in the field. Ahead of the Ashes, which starts on Wednesday, the Australian players are drawing inspiration from Murray`s success story at Wimbledon, given the fact that the days are gone when Australia could simply turn up and win whatever sporting contest they wanted to, the Mirror reports.
According to the report, their sporting struggles include a hammering by the British and Irish Lions on Saturday, a complete knock-out from the Wimbledon by the fourth round, low ranking in the London Olympics and losing their hold on the rugby league World Cup. Noting that British sport is currently on a high, Australian captain Michael Clarke has admitted that he was inspired by Murray`s Wimbledon win, adding that listening to the Scot`s interview gave him a good insight into the work he has put in.
Stating that Murray deserved the rewards, Clarke further said that it is good to see sportsmen achieve success, no matter what their country is, adding that players and athletes who have worked exceptionally hard deserve to have their rewards. With Masters golf champion Adam Scott currently carrying the weight of Australian success on his shoulders, Clarke is eager for his team to help ease that burden, but the report said that as the firm underdogs, it will take something incredible for the Ashes urn to be taken back Down Under.
According to the skipper, winning the Ashes would be a great achievement for his men and a reward for the hard work that they have put in, adding that they only need to prepare as well as they can as playing group.
However, Clarke further said that he is confident that every Australian player has prepared well and will show his best, adding that they just need to go out on the Ashes platform, play with freedom and back their own abilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!