Cowan, Starc dropped from Oz squad for second Ashes Test
Sydney: Australian cricketers Ed Cowan and Mitchell Starc have been dropped from the squad for the second Ashes Test at Lord`s starting on Thursday, and have been replaced by Usman Khawaja and Ryan Harris.
According to News.com.au, Cowan`s Test career looks to be over after he was replaced in the team by Khawaja, who has spent most of his first class and stop-start Test career at number three.
The report further said that the bowling attack has been freshened up, with Harris returning to replace Starc, adding that the selectors may have been scared by the last Australian left armer, Mitchell Johnson, to bowl at Lord`s four years ago given that Johnson conceded 11 fours in his first eight overs in the game.
Stating that Harris`s control and his ability to bowl outswing at good pace has won him a place ahead of Jackson Bird in a tight call, the report further said that despite not playing Test cricket for more than a year, Harris performed strongly in the Sheffield Shield, earning a place in the Ashes squad ahead of Mitchell Johnson, who had toured India.
The report also said that Harris has an outstanding record, with 47 wickets at an average of under 24, but a career marred by injuries has restricted him to just 12 Tests.
Meanwhile, the report also said that Cowan was always in trouble after a poor performance in the first Test at Trent Bridge, which Australia lost by just 14 runs, adding that it is likely that he will be given more than one Test to prove himself as Australia`s next number three following the selection of Khawaja.
The report also mentioned that a talented left hander, Khawaja, who was dropped from the squad after Australia lost to New Zealand in Hobart, has played just six Tests and has been criticised in the past for failing to rotate the strike
Test team: Shane Watson, Chris Rogers, Khawaja, Michael Clarke (c), Steve Smith, Phillip Hughes, Brad Haddin, Ashton Agar, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Harris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM