Cummins says `new action` behind drive to return to Oz Test squad
Sydney: Young Australian fast bowler Pat Cummins has revealed that a slightly new action is behind his drive to return to the Test team by the time England arrives at Australia in November for the later Ashes series.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Cummins, on the comeback trail from a back stress fracture that wiped him out from a second consecutive summer, could be central to the aspirations of Michael Clarke `s team despite his inability to win the series for Australia over the next seven weeks.
The report further said that a straighter arm path, and changes to his running technique are the main features of Cummins` new action although its core, which claimed him seven wickets in his one and only Test to date in Johannesburg in 2011, remains in place.
Stating that he was aware that it would be a tough task for him to nail down any changes, along with getting back to 100 percent, Cummins, who has been bowling in the nets since February, said that he is confident that the changes are going to stick, adding that he is completely fit and itching to play games again.
Cummins further said that he knew that he would not be ready for the summer Ashes despite spending time with the A team, although he added that he hoped to bowl well at the start of the Shield season and be in contention to make some imprint on Australia`s England tour, with a limited-overs campaign coming up after the Ashes which shapes as being his first appearance since last year`s World Twenty20 tournament in Sri Lanka.
Predicting that fast bowler James Pattinson will be a `shock to the system` of England`s batsmen at the Ashes, Cummins also said that Pattinson is world class and can be the main man for their team.
According to Cummins, a player can get himself up for training and getting back to the squad when he sees a light at the end of the tunnel, adding that it becomes tough on the player when the time is undefined and he does not know how long it will be.
Cummins returns to Africa in a week`s time with the Australia A touring party to Zimbabwe and South Africa, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...