England call Graham Onions into fourth Test squad
Manchester: England gave Durham paceman Graham Onions the chance of playing the fourth Ashes Test on his Chester-le-Street home ground after including him in a 13-man squad.
Just hours after England had retained the Ashes courtesy of a rain-affected draw in the third Test at Old Trafford on Monday, the selectors unveiled their squad for the fourth match of the series, which starts at north-east county Durham`s headquarters on Friday.
Fast bowler Chris Tremlett was also selected, with all 11 players who took the field at Old Trafford included as England look for a series victory after winning the first Test at Trent Bridge by 14 and the second, at Lord`s, by a colossal 347 runs.
But there was no place for in-form batsman James Taylor, who`d been in the 14-man squad at Old Trafford as cover for Kevin Pietersen.
But star batsman Pietersen, who had been struggling with a calf problem, made 113 in England`s first innings 368 at Old Trafford.
"While the players should be congratulated on retaining the Ashes there is still a lot of cricket left in this series and it is important that the players recover and refocus ahead of another crucial week of Test cricket," said England national selector Geoff Miller.
"The inclusion of Graham Onions and Chris Tremlett gives (coach) Andy Flower and (captain) Alastair Cook an opportunity to assess both the fitness of the bowling attack following the third Test as well as the conditions at Durham," the former England off-spinner added.
England squad: Alastair Cook (capt), Joe Root, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Jonny Bairstow, Matt Prior (wkt), Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Graham Onions, Chris Tremlett.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre