English media praises Pietersen following Old Trafford ton
Sydney: The English media has lined up to praise batting star Kevin Pietersen following his century during the third Ashes Test at Old Trafford, in a contrast to the other headlines attributed to Pietersen during his colourful and controversial career.
According to News.com.au, Pietersen`s skittish but brisk century overnight stands as England`s only notable achievement after three days of a Test they were expected to dominate, and the relief of a prodigal son`s return to his pomp is obvious.
Calling Pietersen as `England`s most unignorably box-office middle-order princeling`, the Guardian wrote that throughout this Ashes summer there has been an expectation that Pietersen must at some stage come to the fore and dust the series with his own peculiar sense of event glamour, which he has managed to fulfill.
The report further said that there is no doubt that Pietersen is one of the great post-war England middle order batsmen, perhaps even the greatest, despite his foibles.
Hailing the display as a typical Pietersen one on a day when England desperately needed out for some individual heroics, the Telegraph termed Pietersen as `L`Etranger` and said that he is the `archetypal individual stranded in a collective`
According to the paper, when it goes wrong, Pietersen can appear about as integrated in society as Holden Caulfield in The Catcher In The Rye, although when it works, Pietersen writes the day`s lead story with his skill, physical authority and sense of occasion.
Meanwhile, the Daily Mail said that even though England can do without `maverick` Pietersen, they would rather not given that his hard-fought century at Old Trafford might yet end up near the top of the list in importance even though it may rank nowhere near that masterpiece in terms of the quality of strokeplay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!