Giles hints Stokes, Rankin may strengthen `return Ashes` claims
London: England`s limited overs coach Ashley Giles has reportedly hinted that bowler Boyd Rankin and all-rounder Ben Stokes may still strengthen their claims for a place in the squad for the return Ashes series with their performances in the one-day series defeat by Australia.
According to The Guardian, although Giles admitted that it will take some time for them to decide the squad as the selectors will need to make important decisions, there are still places up for grabs in the 16-man squad to tour Australia, and hinted that the performances of Rankin and Stokes in the ODIs may help their chances.
Giles further said that they need to pick a squad consisting of players who are all capable of playing a part in the series, adding that the towering height of Northern Irishman Rankin, who conceded only 106 runs from 29 overs at a rate of 3.63 per over in the ODIs, and his bowling talent are important attributes for England while playing in Australia.
Giles also hailed the performances of Durham player Stokes, who impressed with both bat and ball during the ODIs, and said that Stokes has shown a lot of maturity in the ODI series, which might be the result of lessons learnt from the England Lions tour of Australia last winter, from which he was sent home for an alcohol-related indiscretion.
According to Giles, Stokes has stepped up to the role of third seamer and has also excelled with the bat, adding that he believes that Stokes is an impressive athlete, one of the best fielders in the world and can be put in the elite market with his all-round skills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened