Gooch hails `maturing` Root as new Cook in the making
London: Former England captain Graham Gooch has backed upcoming batting star Joe Root, saying that he is rapidly maturing into being more like England skipper Alastair Cook.
According to the Mirror, Gooch, who is the current batting coach and mentor to both players, has helped oversee Cook`s career right from the beginning, and by working closely with Root in India, he has played a valuable role in his improvement in the last six months.
With Root completing his first Ashes century, Gooch said that there are similarities between the two openers, adding that both of them are mature for their age, with Cook having a similar mentality when he was Root`s age.
Stating that Cook knew exactly how he could score runs, Gooch further said that Root is also turning more like his captain and has a confidence about him, adding that Australia put their players on their boundary to stop Root from making a double century at Lord`s.
Impressed by Root`s work ethic along with his maturity and stroke play, Gooch also said that Root is not selfish, like Cook, which has set both of them apart from their peers, adding that Root was a ready and a willing participant in exhausting exercises as well as technique drills, which were set to help him come game time.
According to Gooch, unlike many players, Root constantly seeks advice and information from his mentors and coaches, adding that he is not surprised by the way in which Root is moving forward with his skill levels given his discipline and the way he works at his game.
However, Gooch cautioned Root, often tipped as a future England captain, against being over confident, saying that a good performance in a single innings does not make a player a regular for a long period of time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan