Greg Chappell says Shane Watson could be `blessing in disguise` if just bats in first Ashes Test
Sydney: Australian Test great Greg Chappell has said that it might be a blessing in disguise for Australia if all-rounder Shane Watson is just restricted to batting in the first Ashes Test at the Gabba from November 21.
Watson has been selected in Australia`s first Test side to face England at the Gabba on Thursday week but a hamstring injury has his role as a part-time seamer under threat and he is likely to play as a specialist batsman.
According to News.com.au, Chappell believes that Watson`s eternal quest to become the high-scoring Test match batting enforcer craved by his team can do without the additional strain of being the side`s supplementary seam bowler, saying that it would be better for his batting as the less overs he scores, the more he would be able to make runs.
Chappell backed Watson to have a big impact at the top of the order by intimidating the opposition bowlers, saying he believes that Watson is on the verge of coming into his own as a Test batsman and punish the rival bowlers, adding that players like Watson have the ability to take a game away from the opposition and set up a Test in the first session.
Chappell further said that Watson could only do that if he does not have the added burden of bowling for his team, although the report said that Watson`s likely absence from the bowling ranks will nullify one of the few advantages Australia has over England - a genuine fifth bowling option.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP