I could play three more Ashes series, says Clarke
Sydney: Australian captain Michael Clarke has dismissed the idea of being driven into retirement by a degenerative back problem and believes he could play three more Ashes series over the next five years.
Clarke will start his sixth Ashes series on November 21, but with the back problem certain to return at some point and his captaincy the subject of a media debate, there has been speculation he might soon call time on his test career.
"I won`t be retiring, not for a long time," the 32-year-old told Sydney`s Daily Telegraph.
"I feel as fit and healthy as I`ve been for a long time and my love and drive to have success and be a part of this Australian team and New South Wales team is as strong as ever.
"As long as I`m performing, I think I`ve got a good four or five years left in me."
There has been little wrong with his performances with the bat in the two years since Clarke took up the captaincy.
Although his record against England (1,746 runs at an average of 46 per innings) does not quite match up to his overall stats (7,656 runs at 52), Australian cricket fans will be delighted their best batsman is going nowhere.
Another five years would take Clarke through the 2015 tour of England as well as the 2017-18 series Down Under and to an age close to that of his predecessor Ricky Ponting when the Tasmanian retired.
"My love of the game is stronger than it has ever been. The older you get, the more you experience the highs and lows," Clarke said.
"It makes you enjoy the good times and enjoy the wins, and also realise that when you`re not winning hard work will turn that around.
"I`m as excited as I`ve been at the start of any summer."
After losing the last Ashes played in Australia 3-1 in 2010-11 and going down 3-0 in England just a few months ago, Clarke`s team are in the rare position of going into a home series as underdogs.
"If I didn`t think we could win I wouldn`t take the field," Clarke said. "You want to win every game you play. That`s part of playing for Australia."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe