Ian Botham tips Ben Stokes to be next Andrew Flintoff
London: Ian Botham has said that England cricketer Ben Stokes can become an England Ashes hero this winter, following in Andrew Flintoff`s footsteps after shedding his cricketing bad boy image.
According to The Daily Star, Botham and England bowling coach David Saker believe Stokes may have the skill and potential to fill the crucial No.6 all-rounder`s spot in both forms of the game.
This is despite the fact Stokes still needs to break into Alastair Cook`s team and that he is still learning his trade at international level, the report said.
Stokes` England dreams looked to be over when he was sent home early from the Lions tour to Australia at the start of the year following a late-night drinking incident, the report said.
However, Stokes kept his head down and vowed to become what England is desperate for him to become the new Freddie, the report added.
Botham said that from what he had seen, Stokes had much to offer the side and could be a great all-rounder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list