Ian Botham tips Ben Stokes to be next Andrew Flintoff
London: Ian Botham has said that England cricketer Ben Stokes can become an England Ashes hero this winter, following in Andrew Flintoff`s footsteps after shedding his cricketing bad boy image.
According to The Daily Star, Botham and England bowling coach David Saker believe Stokes may have the skill and potential to fill the crucial No.6 all-rounder`s spot in both forms of the game.
This is despite the fact Stokes still needs to break into Alastair Cook`s team and that he is still learning his trade at international level, the report said.
Stokes` England dreams looked to be over when he was sent home early from the Lions tour to Australia at the start of the year following a late-night drinking incident, the report said.
However, Stokes kept his head down and vowed to become what England is desperate for him to become the new Freddie, the report added.
Botham said that from what he had seen, Stokes had much to offer the side and could be a great all-rounder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases