Lehmann considering Wade as `specialist batsman` for third Test
Melbourne: Australian coach Darren Lehmann is reportedly considering playing reserve wicket-keeper Matthew Wade as a specialist batsman in the third Ashes Test at Old Trafford if he manages to make a good score in the tour game against county side Sussex, beginning on Friday.
According to Telegraph.com.au, this move comes after Australia`s 347-run second Test loss to England at Lord`s to go 2-0 down in the five-Test series, with every Australian batsman playing in both Tests currently averaging under 30 for the series without making a single century.
The report further said that given that Ashes debutant Ashton Agar is the only Australian cricketer to have made a top score of 98, Lehmann is increasingly favouring the idea of playing Wade in the third Test as he has made two centuries in 12 Tests, as many as Shane Watson has made in 43 Tests.
Stating that he is keeping every option open given that the team has had two losses so far in the series, Lehmann said that he will have to discuss with chairman of selectors John Inverarity and Rod Marsh about the idea of Wade coming into the squad.
According to the report, even though the likelihood of Wade coming into the squad does not threaten Brad Haddin`s place as wicketkeeper and vice-captain for the next Test at least, however, Haddin has made only two single-figure scores in the series, with his meagre performance compounded by some dismal keeping.
Meanwhile, Lehmann further said that he is continuing to work with Shane Watson to correct a technical flaw which has seen him leg before wicket during his past three innings, lunging forward and playing around his front pad, adding that even though Watson has made a marked improvement, he still needed to make big scores like the rest.
Admitting that Australia`s poor batting show was pressurising the team`s bowlers, Lehmann also said that the batsman needed to make major contributions and not only rely upon the bowlers every time.
Lehmann further said that Australia might play two specialist spinners at Old Trafford, although the fact appears unlikely as Ashton Agar failed to take a wicket on a pitch where the England spinners dominated and is carrying hip and spinning finger injuries, while Steve Smith claimed four wickets with his occasional leg-breaks
Wade played for a Marylebone Cricket Club invitational XI last Tuesday against Singapore, scoring 85 in a one-day match against a weak attack, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow