Lyon stars on day one as Australia dominate
Chester-Le-Street: Australia`s plan to starve England of runs paid off handsomely when they reduced the home team to 238 for nine on the opening day of the fourth Ashes test in County Durham on Friday. Off-spinner Nathan Lyon took centre stage for the tourists, who are 2-0 down in the five-match series, winning his personal battle with dangerman Kevin Pietersen as he ripped through the middle order with figures of four for 42.
"Our pace bowlers bowled fantastically but we`ve been well supported in the field with David Warner and Chris Rogers running around," a modest Lyon told reporters.
"Building pressure is the way you take wickets, that`s the way you play test cricket, you`ve got to be patient. Building pressure from both ends is going to cause, hopefully, an error somewhere along the line.
"There was a period there where they didn`t score many runs and that comes down to us keep putting the balls in the right areas and our fielders backing us up," said Lyon. "They`ve been fantastic the whole series so credit goes to them."
Pietersen came to the crease with England on 107 for two and straight away he tried to unsettle Lyon, lofting the spinner to wide mid-on from his first delivery.
England`s leading batsman attacked Lyon whenever he could but the Australian had the last laugh when, bowling around the wicket, he angled the ball across the right-hander and had him caught behind by Brad Haddin for 26.
"They are the challenges I love, someone taking the game to you. There`s no doubt he`s one of the best batters in the world. I was lucky enough to come out on top but cricket`s a funny game so I`m not saying too much," said Lyon. "That`s why we play our cricket.
Lyon, who offered precious few chances for the batsmen to attack during 20 disciplined overs, was given his first outing of the series when he replaced teenager Ashton Agar for the third-test draw in Manchester.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing