McGrath backs Johnson for Ashes recall
Sydney: Former Australian Test bowler Glenn McGrath has said that Mitchell Johnson is vital to the nation`s Ashes chances this summer, and that the left-armer must play in the first Test against England.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, McGrath, who took 563 Test wickets, believes Johnson is the ideal like-for-like replacement for the injured Mitchell Starc, with his performances in the limited-overs series in England and lately India screaming out for a recall.
Johnson claimed 4-46 during Australia`s incredible victory in the third one-day international of the series against India at Mohali at the weekend, the report said.
Australian selectors have already taken note of the way in which the adopted West Australian troubled some of England`s batsmen, in particular Jonathan Trott, with a feisty combination of speed and bounce in the shorter formats and his efforts on the subcontinent will only enhance their confidence in him, the report added.
Meanwhile, Johnson also said he felt mentally and physically ready for a recall.
England arrives in Perth on Friday, where it will kick off its preparations for next month`s first Test at the Gabba with a three-day practice game against Western Australia , according to the report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II