McGrath hails Clarke as `fine captain` despite not being `a nerd` like Steve Waugh
London: Former Australian Test bowler Glenn McGrath has said that even though Oz captain Michael Clarke is not a nerd like Steve Waugh, he is still a fine captain, and when he scores big runs, the team does well.
In his column published in The Guardian, McGrath said that when he played in the Australian team, all the captains were nerds including Allan Border, Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting, but Michael Clarke was a Julio, who are used to having perfect hair, right gear and nice appearances.
The former player said that Clarke may be a very modern guy and a metro-sexual but on the field he played tough and also expected the best from his teammates including himself.
McGrath said that Clarke had been helped with the company of Ponting, Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist and Matthew Hayden at the time he started playing and that made a huge difference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon