McGrath hails Clarke as `fine captain` despite not being `a nerd` like Steve Waugh
London: Former Australian Test bowler Glenn McGrath has said that even though Oz captain Michael Clarke is not a nerd like Steve Waugh, he is still a fine captain, and when he scores big runs, the team does well.
In his column published in The Guardian, McGrath said that when he played in the Australian team, all the captains were nerds including Allan Border, Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting, but Michael Clarke was a Julio, who are used to having perfect hair, right gear and nice appearances.
The former player said that Clarke may be a very modern guy and a metro-sexual but on the field he played tough and also expected the best from his teammates including himself.
McGrath said that Clarke had been helped with the company of Ponting, Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist and Matthew Hayden at the time he started playing and that made a huge difference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Belgian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton ready for slog from back of the field
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers