McGrath hails Clarke as `fine captain` despite not being `a nerd` like Steve Waugh
London: Former Australian Test bowler Glenn McGrath has said that even though Oz captain Michael Clarke is not a nerd like Steve Waugh, he is still a fine captain, and when he scores big runs, the team does well.
In his column published in The Guardian, McGrath said that when he played in the Australian team, all the captains were nerds including Allan Border, Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting, but Michael Clarke was a Julio, who are used to having perfect hair, right gear and nice appearances.
The former player said that Clarke may be a very modern guy and a metro-sexual but on the field he played tough and also expected the best from his teammates including himself.
McGrath said that Clarke had been helped with the company of Ponting, Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist and Matthew Hayden at the time he started playing and that made a huge difference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon